Our vision provides us a way to connect to the world around us. Instinctively, we look around from the first moment we open our eyes and take in as much as we can. For those who are nearsighted, glasses are usually within arm’s reach, and a slight panic ensues when they are not. At Eastgate Optometric Clinic in Stoney Creek, Ontario, our primary goal is to make sure your eyes and vision stay as strong as possible for as long as possible.
What it Means to Have an Ocular Disease
Ocular diseases can affect your vision, eye health, or both. They can also be red flags to dangers of your overall health that require attention from your general practice doctor and/or ophthalmologist. Ocular diseases make it harder to learn new things, concentrate, enjoy television or a favorite book, or drive from one place to another. Even the ability to work can be compromised due to vision or eye health issues. Some common ocular diseases include:
- Cataracts - A coating over the eye's natural lens from protein build up that impairs vision. Cataracts build up over time and are a common cause of blindness for older adults, but can be removed surgically
- Macular Degeneration - Also an age-related condition, the central portion of the retina, the macula, begins to break down causing blurred central vision or blind spots.
- Glaucoma- a condition caused by increased pressure on the optic nerve. Most common in adults over 40, and may be aggravated by health conditions such as diabetes.
- Keratoconus - progressive thinning of corneas that causes bulging into a cone-like shape
- Dry Eye Syndrome- Caused by a malfunction in the tear ducts that lead to a combination or dry itchy eyes and excessive tearing
- Retina Disorders - Many disorders, including retinal detachment, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy
Working as a Team to Protect Your Vision
As qualified optometrists, there are many things that Dr. Jang and Dr. Hoang at Eastgate Optometric Clinic can do to help protect and preserve your eye health and vision, but they cannot handle every situation alone. When we come across an issue that needs another professional input we are always ready to reach out to your doctor or ophthalmologist in order to give you the type of treatment you need.
To learn more about our optometry services and how we work together with other medical professionals, or to schedule an assessment of your eye health and vision.
Contact us at Eastgate Optometric Clinic in Stoney Creek, ON
Book an appointment